18 February 2015

For British Nationals planning to get married in Philippines

Marriage license is the most important requirement to have for you to get married and without it, wedding preparations even how lavish or simple it is will be useless.

Okay, since we got engaged last November 2013, the rule for British Nationals who will be getting married in Philippines and based overseas was to apply for certificate of no impediment in UK Embassy where he is residing (which for us is UAE) and they will send it to UK Embassy in Philippines where we can collect it but as of 23rd June 2014, they changed the rules/ requirements to below:

From UK Embassy site:

The Consular Section now administers affirmations or affidavits to marry. Local authorities have confirmed that they will accept this document. This replaces the old-style Certificate of No Impediment (CNI)

You must prepare a type written affirmation of affidavit of marital status, following below template before you attend the Consular Section. British applicants are required to personally appear at teh embassy. Document must follow this template- Font size 12, Times New Roman, 1.5cm margin all around.



Note: An affidavit is an applicant's written statement confirmed by taking his/ her religious oath (e.g. oath on a Bible or Koran), whereas an affirmation is an applicant's solemn, non-religious declaration of his/her facts. You should bring supporting documents relating to the facts indicated on your affirmation/ affidavit. 

You may set an appointment with the Consular Section via the British Embassy Manila online appointment system www.britishembassymanila.clickbook.net or send them an email with three (3) prefered dates/ schedule at Manila.ConsAppointment@fco.gov.uk Consular staff will not process applications of customers who come to the Embassy without a prepared affirmation or affidavit or without complete supporting documents. You will be asked to book another appointment once all documents are ready

Supporting Documents (Provide originals and corresponding photocopies)

-  Original UK passport and original UK birth certificate
-  If widow/ widower, present original death certificate of deceased spouse, or a certified copy
     -  If spouse died in the Philippines, present:
              -  Original death certificate of deceased spouse
              -  Advisory on marriage (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR from the National Statistics                    Office
              -  Marriage Certificate with proper annotation declaring, if applicable, the presumptive death                  of spouse
-  If divorced/ annulled, present original divorce decree absolute/ annulment papers, or a certified          copy.
     -  If annulled in the Philippines, please present the following documents:
              -  Advisory of Marriage Records (CRS Form 5) in lieu of a CENOMAR from the National                      Statistics Office
              -  certificate of Finality and full court documents, including decision
              -  marriage certificate, with proper annotation declaring the marriage null and void

Due to the new rules, we sent them an email to set an appointment. We gave 3 preferred dates and they confirmed the first date but early morning so even though it will be an additional expense on our part, we flew back to Philippines and booked a hotel nearby the embassy to avoid peak hour traffic and miss our appointment. Please note that nothing mentioned that "I" (Bride) MUST be there but Steve said that it will be handy for both of us to be present incase they have questions.

Our appointment is at 0845hrs and reached the embassy at 0820hrs but upon approaching the guards and informing them about our appointment, we were asked to stay outside while trying to contact the staff inside the embassy so we stayed there with the rest of the people with appointments. It's already passed 0900hrs when they started calling people to enter the vicinity which is quite disappointing. 

On a positive side, we're second on the appointment list so it didnt take long for us to go inside and stayed in an air-conditioned room. Please make sure that you have all the requirements needed for your Affirmation/ Affidavit following above guidelines. The 1st couple before us who came all the way from Cebu wasn't able to process his authenticated Affirmation due to missing type-written form and they have to go back and set another appointment. 

Roughly, it only took 30 minutes for Steve to finish the whole process from submission of the requirements to the Consular up to receiving the authenticated Affirmation Certificate. The Consular asked Steve some details about where we met, how long we've been together and wedding details. 

UK Embassy Manila Address:
120 Upper McKinley Road, McKinley Hills, Taguig City 1634
Tel: 00632 8582200
(Behind Korean Embassy) 

Website for the complete instructions for application, including payment and requirements: 

For the Consular rates/fees, please refer to the link below:


IMPORTANT REMINDERS (from UK Embassy, Manila):

-  Under the perjury Act (1911) it is a criminal offence to knowingly make a false declaration.                Offenders face the possibility of a fine and/ or a jail sentence.
-  You should apply for a marriage license from the Philippine local icvil registrar once the                    affirmation/ affidavit has been completed. The process normally takes 10 working days.
-  Please fulfill other requirements set by the Philippine authorities. If your fiancee/ fiance was                previously married, you must ensure to submit their complete divorce/ annulment documents. 
-  You may wish to seek legal advice to ensure the validity of your fiancee/ finace's foreign divorce in    the Philippines. Certain restrictions may apply to Philippine nationals who were divorced overseas.
-  An affidavit/ affirmation does not make your marriage valid under UK or foreign law, or guarantee    to the local authorities that you are free to marry. You may wish to seek legal advice on this.

25 comments:

  1. Hi thanks for that article I intend to get married on 6th Feb 2016 in the Philippines, I am from UK. I have booked an appointment for Jan7th with the British Embassey (was hoping a bit earlier). I'm just wondering if my partner should also attend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Jimmy, my husband (then fiance) solely attended given he was the only one with an appointment. Likewise with yours, the same principle applies. Your fiancee need not be present.

      Delete
    2. It just occur to me that I have not done the right thing since when my husband came back to me, I am on this blog to give thanks to whom it deserve, Some couples of weeks ago my life was in a terrible shape because my husband left me and I never believe that I was going to get him back, But through the help of this powerful spell caster called Dr.Ekpen my life is now in a joyful mood, I must recommend the services of Dr.Ekpen to anyone out there that they should contact Dr.Ekpen through these details below: ( ekpentemple@gmail.com ) or whatsapp +2347050270218 because through Dr.Ekpen assistance my marriage was restored.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, is it true that we need to wait for 10 working days to get the affidavit from the embassy? My fiancee will be staying here for 18 days only.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, is it true that we need to wait for 10 working days to get the affidavit from the embassy? My fiancee will be staying here for 18 days only.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thanks for making this post, it has been extremely helpful. My fiance (filipino) and myself, British, plan on getting married in the Philippines next year. :) Will go about getting all the requirements ready!!!
    You have been an awesome help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi how do I apply Certificate of legal capacity and do you have a postcode or the place is not too far from me live Derby

      Delete
  6. By the way, how long is the document valid? So I can gauge when to get it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sherill, your post is very helpful. I read in the www.gov.uk website that my fiance needs to get the affirmation/affidavit translated to the local language. Here is the exact statement from the website.

    "Legalisation and translation

    You’ll need to get your affirmation or affidavit translated into the local language and ‘legalised’ (certified as genuine) by the local authorities - the embassy or consulate should be able to give you advice."

    Did your husband get 2 types of affidavit/affirmation? One in English and one in Filipino?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via;
    ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call him on (+2348104102662).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi. Thanks for this post. My boyfriend and I booked an appointment this April 4. He is approaching his second year in the country also this April. Due to the heavy volume in my work, we weren't able to sort things out so what were doing is we extend his Visa every two months. To cut the story short, currently we are sorting the papers. As a tourist visa holders he is not able to work here, would it be okay if we are going to put on the information sheet that he doesn't have an occupation here. And I am the one providing for us? Second, the date of marriage, of course we can't give an exact date for it. Probably a just a month of marriage. I just hope you respond on my post. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello thanks for this very useful info..i would like to ask where can i get this affidavit..do i need to see my solicitor or it was already in the embassy..i already booked my appointment this 15 of august 2016..pls let me know as soon as possible..i already have my CNI but do they accpet CNI aswell from my local register office?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello thanks for this very useful info..i would like to ask where can i get this affidavit..do i need to see my solicitor or it was already in the embassy..i already booked my appointment this 15 of august 2016..pls let me know as soon as possible..i already have my CNI but do they accpet CNI aswell from my local register office?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi my fiance (filipino) and I (British) are trying to arrange a wedding for oct 8. We both work on cruise ships and due to be back in manila on the 20th sept do you think this is enough time to process the affirmation and get the wedding license? There is so much conflicting information online and this site was by far the easiest to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi there am geting married on 14th january 2017 iam geting a cni from uk do i still need to make an appointment at the emmbasy in manila

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am originally from turkey I have dual citizen Turkish and British have a girl friend in Philippines do I need extra documents to marry Philippines

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. Thanks for the info. I am a filipino citizen and my fiance is a british national. I am very confused with the Certificate of Legal Capacity to marry which is one of the requirements to apply for a marriage license. Since you mentioned that CNI was replaced by a new rule, I'd like to ask if my fiance can get the Legal Capacity at the Philippine Embassy in the UK? His flight scheduled on April 20 and our wedding will be on April 25. I need the certificate before he arrives because that's one of the requirements to apply for marriage license and that we won't have enough time if he will get it from the Embassy in Manila. Your response is very important. Please, I hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can you help me for advice I have fiance from UK he get appointment for legal capacity what if he got the appointment and missed not attended that schedule what well happened about that

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you help me for advice I have fiance from UK he get appointment for legal capacity what if he got the appointment and missed not attended that schedule what well happened about that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI how were did you have you appointment in the uk
      do you have a postcode

      Delete
  19. It just occur to me that I have not done the right thing since when my husband came back to me, I am on this blog to give thanks to whom it deserve, Some couples of weeks ago my life was in a terrible shape because my husband left me and I never believe that I was going to get him back, But through the help of this powerful spell caster called Dr.Ekpen my life is now in a joyful mood, I must recommend the services of Dr.Ekpen to anyone out there that they should contact Dr.Ekpen through these details below: ( ekpentemple@gmail.com ) or whatsapp +2347050270218 because through Dr.Ekpen assistance my marriage was restored.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dr. Ekpen Temple Your spell worked and brought my husband back to me. You gave me support when I was feeling hopeless. I feel truly blessed to have found your email address. I sincerely hope others will take that leap of faith and let you help them as you have helped me, for those of you who want to contact him reach him on his email address: ( ekpentemple@gmail.com ) you will never regret contacting him… He is capable of restoring your relationship and marriage problems like he did for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Azakaspelltemple@gmail.com is certainly the best spell caster online and his result is 100% guarantee.. My husband breakup with me and left me to be with another woman, and i wanted him back. I was so frustrated and i could not know what next to do again, I love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him break up with me so that he can be able to get married to the other lady and this lady i think use witchcraft on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for, I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my husband!! I was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Azaka can help get ex back fast. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a love-spell for me, 24  hours later, my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one big family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr Azaka, he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr Azaka is best spell caster online who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are here and your lover is turning you down, or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster Dr Azaka on his email : azakaspelltemple@gmail.com you can also call him or add him on WhatsApp +2349059389105

    ReplyDelete